Wednesday, January 31, 2007

M is for mockingbird

While not a professional bird watcher, I think each of my friends is remarkably like the bird species I watch each day. A myriad of birds gather on branches outside of my window in unusual combinations of color, size, and voice; very much like my circle of friends. Though they are clearly different species, they join together in a cacophony of sound, bird to bird, much like woman to woman.

The mockingbird, which is personally one of my favorites, is so full of life that her voice radiates delight wherever she goes. Her social concentration is so keen that her initial greeting makes you believe that you are the most important person alive.

The mockingbird is drawn to anything shiny and she never leaves home without armfuls of silver bangles, sequined skirts, and silver earrings hanging long from her ears. Eyes darting and chattering rapidly, she twirls amongst the crowd and without knowing, draws the attention of every man in the room. Her shoulders often languish above a wide boat neck sweater and her short blonde hair darts in every direction. With her sparkling attire and swift movements, she often looks like a fast traveling comet. Her trail of stardust leaves most guests sorry for her early evening departures.

She’s as beautiful as a peacock and as charming as a lovebird. Quick to chatter, easy to charm, my friend the mockingbird has turned me into an avid bird watcher.

©2007

No comments: