Wednesday, January 31, 2007

little prayers

The world is a sight to behold. Each day as I read current events on CNN, I hold my breath. Things are considerably more complicated now. I’m thankful that I’m not trying to figure out the never-ending puzzle of world politics. It’s a difficult task.

I am amused that the daily news has forced a new habit on me. When I read through articles, I have begun to say little prayers. When the young men of war are counted as numbers, I close my eyes and whisper “go in peace.” When kidnapped children are found, I say “thank you,” and when foolish people do foolish things I say, “it takes all kinds to make an interesting world. Thank you for the variety.”

I don’t know when it started. I’m not even sure where it comes from. Growing up my family rarely – if ever – attended church. I have no desire for affiliation or religious community and yet, a new and simple belief has entered my life. I imagine that my prayer is the intention of warmth that pushes at the back of those traveling to parts unknown. I want them to know that another is wishing them well on their way.

People talk about world consciousness. Maybe there is. Maybe there isn’t. I’m not sure, but just in case, I want to do my part. It’s not much, but each day, as I read the news, I whisper my little prayers.

©2007

No comments: